We’re looking for a social media manager to lead our social media strategy across Twitter, Instagram, and Facebook to help support our growing presence in the literary community!
SFWP is a traditional publisher who, for the last 22 years, has gone against the expectations of the publishing industry. With over 35 titles published, and up to six titles published per year, our catalog is eclectic, featuring short stories, novellas, translations, reprints, and the avant-garde. We publish a combination of fiction and creative nonfiction, and we maintain two exciting imprints – Alan Squire Publishing (ASP), specializing in boutique books and poetry, and 2040 Books, a press devoted to authors of color and diverse literature. This year, we’re launching City Different Books, a children’s book imprint dedicated to STEM/STEAM themes.
SFWP’s titles are distributed globally by the Independent Publisher’s Group, and we have a group of active authors and team members. We maintain the SFWP Quarterly – an online journal that has been running strong since 2002 – and an annual contest that attracts thousands of applicants.
The social media manager will be a volunteer position for a probationary period of three months, after which, if we’re all happy with each other, the position will pay $100/month plus the occasional perk, bonus, and the possibility of an increase in pay over time. (Perks and bonuses include AWP registration, free books, the opportunity for performance-based compensation, and undying love from the SFWP team.)
- Maintain, on a daily basis, social media accounts for SFWP (Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram)
- Create graphics and content for social media posts, including promotion of ASP, 2040 Books, and City Different Books
- Schedule posts across social media for upcoming SFWP events (author readings, publication announcements, book fairs and festivals, conferences, sales, SFWP staff highlights, etc.)
- Actively seek to grow the follower base across all channels
- Reply and engage to social posts in the voice of the brand
- Monitor author posts for opportunities to support and amplify
- Respond to Slack and email from SFWP staff in a timely manner
- 20 hours/month. Flexible.
- Consistent and reliable access to an internet connection
- Access to laptop or desktop for non-mobile posting – this position cannot be completed from a mobile device only
- Experience using Slack, Google Drive, Dropbox, Canva or Adobe Spark, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and social media schedule tools (both native and 3rd party).
- Experience creating shareable graphics and engaging social media content.
- Ability to follow best practices for tagging, link inclusion, image sizing, and hashtags across all platforms.
- Self-directed in a remote-work environment, including the ability to manage your time in a proactive way.
- You love great books independent of genre.
- Experience with monetization of social media platforms, metrics and reporting, social listening and tracking (or the desire to learn!)
- Familiarity with SFWP catalog, SFWP Quarterly, and imprint publications, or interest/initiative to do so.
- Excitement about small press publishing.
Deadline: February 10th, 2020
- Use this Submittable form
- Submit your cover letter outlining your qualifications and excitement for the position, including any barriers you might encounter (do you need some additional training in these platforms, do you require any accommodations to complete your duties, etc.)
- Use your voice! We want to hear what you sound like.
- Don’t meet every single qualification? Apply anyway and let us know why you think you are still a fit.
- Give us a follow on Twitter, Facebook, or Instagram and provide us with one item that you would do differently if you started working with us today.
- Include your social media handles.
We look forward to working with you!